Saturday, November 1, 2008

election 2008

with the election just days away, it seems to influence every conversation as of late, even here in turkey. last night ben & i went to a halloween party hosted by the cultural affairs officer, tom, and his wife. there was a man there dressed as 'election 2008.' a clever costume! ben and i went as mccain & palin (though not in that order), and i will post pictures soon.

this election is the first i have witnessed in my life to pique such strong emotions from everyone, of all backgrounds. below is a letter written in explanation, written by my the man who served as the best man at my parent's wedding, one of dad's closest friends, my uncle bill. i hope he won't mind my posting it here, but i think it needs to be shared, as it so eloquently speaks to what i know is true in my heart:

October, 2008

Dear Family and Friends,

A friend of mine recently said, “One thing worse than talking politics with family and friends, this year, is not talking about it.” He got me thinking and I decided to write this short letter about why I’m voting for Obama-Biden. Please understand that my love and loyalty to you is not at risk. I’m not judging you regardless of your political leaning and I hope you won’t judge me. You can read, copy, forward or delete this message. I don’t expect any response. I just want to have my say.

I’ve been very blessed in my life. I grew up in Lorain, Ohio long before “diversity” was a cliché and I learned that a jumble of people from all over the world was normal. I carried that lesson into my adult life and have lived and worked in environments where racial, cultural, gender and language differences are a good thing. I’ve always felt lucky to have been born in Lorain and in the United States and I also realize that my birth was a roll of the dice. Along the way, as I’ve loved my country, I’ve also been aware that we are 5% of the world’s population. The notion that “we’re number one” has always rung a false note for me and, while maintaining my gratitude for my home country, I’ve leaned towards the “We’re all in this together” perspective. I’ve believed this in my personal life, my professional life and in the way I view myself in the larger world. When I lived in Syracuse in the 60’s and 70’s a Native American friend taught me the Great Law of the Iroquois Confederacy, “In our every deliberation, we must consider the impact of our decisions on the next seven generations.” I’m the first to admit I’ve lived an imperfect life and I haven’t always acted according to that Law, but the words have guided me and sum up a lot of my philosophy and world view.

That brings me to Election 2008. I won’t review all the reasons for and against Obama or McCain. I’ll just outline my personal reasons for supporting Obama and Biden.

Like it or not (I personally like it), we live in an increasingly diverse world with increasingly unclear boundaries. For the sake of our “next seven generations” we have to become more willing to understand and live with the diversity that is irreversible.


When I look at Obama and the people around him I see the next seven generations. In McCain I see the past. I’m not worried about the past affiliations of either of either man or running mate, whether it be William Ayers or the Keating Five. I care about their current affiliations and I see that Obama is connected with a much wider representation of the real world than McCain. Of course I can’t predict with certainty that taking a reasoned, collaborative approach to our place in the world will yield peace and prosperity, but I think it’s our greatest hope. I’ve certainly seen this approach work on a microcosmic level in my own work in Rhode Island. I definitely don’t believe that we can continue the “Us and Them” approach of recent years. I believe that if Obama is elected there will be an immediate enhancement of own image across the world. This will open opportunities for negotiation and cooperation that we can exploit to the advantage of everyone. One of my skeptical friends says I’m a dreamer and that every politician makes promises he/she doesn’t keep. I know that, but I’ve also known a few who have been true inspirational leaders who have kept their word, or enough of it to matter. I’m without any blind illusions and I’m hopeful.


I’ve lived through almost thirty years, starting with Reagan, of a growing belief that “government isn’t the answer to the problem, it IS the problem.” I think that belief has become a self-fulfilling prophesy. The more we believe it, the more we undermine government. I was inspired by Jack Kennedy in my youth to become a teacher because he believed that public service is an obligation and a great honor. I have seen government at its best a few times in my adulthood, generating philosophies, policies and practices that were honest and effective. For example, I worked at the Providence Mental health Center from 1978-1986 during the “golden years” of community mental health and saw the extraordinarily positive effects that well-financed, accountable public services can have on individuals, families and communities. I have also seen the gradual dismemberment of the public mental health system in the last twenty years. I’d love to see a return to a belief that GOOD government is one of the answers to our problems. From my point of view, Obama and his associates are much more attuned to this perspective than McCain and Company. I can even envision myself returning to work in the Obama years.


Finally, a personal note. I’m not a one issue or a one party voter and never have been. Since 1961 when I first voted I’ve cast ballots for Democrats, Republicans, Independents, Libertarians and, yes, a Socialist. My vote has always depended on the person and the issues, not the party. I’m also gay and, as I’ve gotten older I’ve seen my status improve (most people couldn’t care less “what” I am as long as I’m a decent, reliable person) and I’ve also seen my world become riskier. More visibility means more danger. I have more vocal enemies than ever. I see nothing in McCain or his associates that tells me that my future and the future of the next seven generations of gay people is safe. Obama and the people around him, while not the allies I dream of, are at least willing to talk about us as full members of the community and give me hope that some day we’ll officially be first class citizens.

Of course I have many more opinions, but this is enough. If you got this far without hitting “Delete,” thanks for reading. Get out and vote.

Love,

Bill and Uncle Bill

3 comments:

Meg said...

well said, bill!

Quite A Lot said...

thanks for sharing! your uncle is right on!

Anonymous said...

Hi Katie,
I don't know your uncle Bill but I admire him already. Such a wonderful post, couldn't be said better!!

Love
Auntie Aydan