Thursday, February 23, 2012

i know it in my heart to be true

it's so hard to believe that today marks three years since i lost my oldest sister.   


jenni had a natural gift when it came to caring for children. they absolutely, universally adored her.


she spent a good deal of time working as a babysitter and nanny.  i will never forget how, the last time i saw her, she had garnered the love of yet another child - sarah & jeff's niece, madeline - and how they laughed and played together as if they'd known each other for a very long time.


 it is painful to think about what an amazing aunt she would have been to emre, and that he will never have the chance to know her.  she would have doted on him...


...and i know that, one day, he would have loved her sense of humor, kindness, knowledge of the most random trivia, and her love of music, among other things.  they would have developed an unbreakable bond, nephew & aunt.


i spent a lot of time thinking about that throughout my pregnancy, and of course, during these first few weeks with him.


but there is one thought which brings peace of mind,


and that is knowing that she is somewhere, watching over him, and always will be.


i know this in my heart to be true.  i will work hard to make sure that emre knows it as well, always.


we miss you, aunt jenni.  

3 comments:

Verna said...

My thoughts and prayers are always with you, but especially today. Hugs.

Sarah said...

Katie thank you for posting this. I am weeping as I read it, but so grateful for your thoughtful words and wonderful memories. I have thought so much about how auntie Jenni would have been so proud of you- and so totally in love with Emre. I wish I was there to mark this day with all of you, but I am certainly there in spirit. Sending love and big hugs to you.

Meg said...

I'm thinking of you, my friend.