Thursday, September 18, 2008

Yesterday Ben & I spent most of the day running around downtown Ankara, trying to get the necessary paperwork for my resident permit.  This is required if I'm going to stay in the country beyond the 90 days my tourist visa is valid for, and it is something every visitor must do (even exchange students).  It's been an eye-opening experience in understanding the culture of this country, and how everything works differently.  Luckily, for the most part people have been kind and helpful, and now the process is almost complete.  

Last night we returned home exhausted to find Grandma had cooked dinner for Itfar... well, a feast really!  She is amazing.  Everything was on the table & ready for sundown when we walked in the door... such a blessing when I am in the midst of adjusting to so much change.  She has taken to calling me 'daughter,' and makes me feel right at home.  I honestly don't know what I'm going to do when she heads back to Australia in October!

Below are the pictures I promised-- some very random ones, but I will get more up soon.

Taking off from JFK... goodbye USA!


















Landing in Istanbul... dry & dusty














My personal airport shuttle driver


















From the flight... no more pork :( 


















Grandma & I at the dinner table














Ben & Grandma... 


















The feast prepared for Iftar... amazing














The government building where we stood in line for an hour only to be told we didn't have the necessary paperwork.  I should mention it was about 90 degrees in there with no A/C, and we had to walk up about 20 flights of stairs to get there.  I will never again take the DMV for granted!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sarah again.. what a beautiful meal! Grandma looks lovely. and delighted :) I'm so glad that you have her there to take care of you. Makes me feel much relief (not that I didn't trust Ben to do that, just you know, there's nothing like a grandma!).
Hope you are having a great Thursday evening. Dad & David arrive tonight and I think I'm cooking scallops.. hmmm...

love you!

Quite A Lot said...

tonight has been my first night to read all this....it sounds like you had an adventure getting to the airport- i expected no less :) and that you are being well taken care of...i can't wait to visit! miss you, love you...